Saturday, December 8, 2012

Time to Knit

A post confessing my nerdiness.  Yes, I am a 22 year old knitter.  

Basic ribbed scarf in progress

As a college graduate this is officially what I do in my spare time.  My grandma taught me when I was only 10 but with school over the years I never had time to really get into it.  Now I'm looking at different patterns and teaching myself new techniques; it's about time I learn how to use circular needles or how to make cables!  I know, so exciting.



Over the past two months I have knit a scarf, earwarmers (with my second one underway as of today), six hats (currently working on my seventh).  Most of them have been gifts and I'm sticking with flat knitting while working on them because I know I can knit well with straight needles, I don't want to mess up any presents! And to decorate the hats that I have made I even taught myself to crochet some flowers by watching youtube videos.  I definitely prefer knitting to crocheting though, but it is nice to have the accents.



Finished hat with crocheted flowers.
Earwarmers in progress...
It definitely is different knitting now with so much free help on the internet.  When I was little I used only knitting books and knitting magazines but now there are so many free resources! Even though I technically have known how to knit for such a long time I am by no means an expert.  This is the first time that I actually have the spare time to learn new techniques!  It is such a great hobby, once I finish one project I am searching for my next one.  When I'm not at work I knit while watching tv or movies, or in long car rides--when someone else is driving of course!  It's a wonderful way to make meaningful gifts for the people I care about.  And it's always great to see the finished project with all of your hard work.

Legolas being a very handsome hat model.

No comments:

Post a Comment