Friday, March 15, 2013

The Top Five Things I Miss About Spain

To anyone that knows me it is no surprise that I love, and miss, Spain.  After visiting it a couple times in the past few years I have come to think of it as a home away from home.  It has such a rich history, such beautiful and diverse landscapes, and food I could just die for.

A lot of people who are not familiar with Spain only know about the recent financial crisis they are experiencing.  There is much, much more to Spain than its current problems so before I give you my favorite things let me entertain my dual degree in history and bore you with some very brief historical facts of my adoptive country (I promise it's brief):
  • Spain has been populated even before the conquering of the Romans, with separate tribes throughout the Peninsula.
    • Spanish Logo, Joan Miró source
  • Most of Spain was conquered by the Muslims starting in the early 700s; only very northern regions like Cantabria and Asturias were for the most part untouched.  If you look at the above map you'll see just how much land was taken!
  • The country of Spain only formed into a unified country in the 1400s with the marriage of los Reyes Católicos, Fernando and Isabel (the patrons of Columbus on his voyage to the Americas)
  • A lasting democracy in Spain has only been in place since the 1970s, it's still very new.
Not too painful I hope...now if you don't believe me about the wonders of España here are the top five things I miss the most:

1. The People-One thing I hear a lot from some people who have traveled or lived in Spain is
(Photo cred. to one of my friends)
 that they found people in Spain cold and unwelcoming.  My experience has really been the opposite of this, this may be because of having a Spanish boyfriend, but out of all the things I miss about Spain these guys are numero uno.  The first day I met them they greeted me at the airport with a Spongebob balloon (I'm really a five year old child), a banner they had hand-drawn pictures representing Spain and the USA, and a car full of balloons.  Now almost three years later I couldn't ask for better friends.  Not to mention that my boyfriend's family has been equally kind and welcoming.

Yes, Spain is not known for its 'service industry.'  Store staff will not follow you around and your waiter/waitress may not come to your table every five minutes.  I don't think of this as a reflection on the people, but a different lifestyle.  Most Spanish people have had their friends forever and it takes time for them to warm up.  I have found most Spaniards to be very friendly and it wasn't uncommon that I'd be out at a bar when someone would realize I was American and want to know all about me.  All and all, when you go to Spain try to get to know the Spanish people.  Even if they seem "cold" at first try to talk to them, they may end up being lifelong friends.  And there's no better way to perfect your Spanish than with some native speakers!



Lunch break with my buddy, is it obvious I love him?
2. The Lifestyle-Ah the Spanish lifestyle.  Here most people may think of siestas, vacations, etc.  But most Spaniards work very hard; they just take the time to enjoy life!  [Yes, there is a large lunch break in the middle of the day when everything is closed down but it is a time for families to get together and eat the most important meal of the day with one another, not to have a 'siesta' (though sometimes with all that food in your stomach its hard not to fall asleep!)]  They are just so much more relaxed in Spain: not rushing everywhere, not worrying about everything.  They're so relaxed that sometimes 'Spanish time' drives me crazy; the word "soon" to me means about 15/20 minutes while to my boyfriend it could mean hours!  It can be hard for those from other cultures, like my busy self, to adjust but I personally think that Spain has it right.  They work to live, not live to work.  I mean, really, what's the point if you're not enjoying life?


My guide to happiness, source
3. The Food-It may not be known as a world cuisine (yet) but I adore the vast majority of Spanish food.  Each region has a different and unique type of special dish.  My boyfriend is from the north so seafood is a staple of their diet, I have grudgingly come to actually appreciate some of it, but some of their other regional foods are: Cocido (Montañes or Lebaniego), sobaos, quesada, and cheese.  Let me state this before I continue.  I LOVE CHEESE, all caps on purpose.  If I could eat one food everyday for the rest of my life it would be cheese.  And the northern regions of Spain have DELICIOUS cheeses; my favorite is picón (a type of blue cheese).

Most Americans know paella and gazpacho but these are usually best in the region they come from, and no.  Spanish food is not usually spicy or very similar to Mexican/Latin foods.  Some of the most typical foods I have seen throughout different areas of Spain are: fish/seafood, meats (pork and beef), variations of vegetables, jamón (cured ham), tortilla española (Spanish omelette that is potato based), chorizo (often spicy Spanish sausage), olives/olive oil, and patatas bravas (potatoes with a spicy sauce).
Patatas Bravas, source
The fish and seafood is growing on me, steaks in Spain are the best I've ever had, and I LOVE jamón, tortilla, and patatas bravas only a little bit less than cheese.  For me most places I've been to serve jamón and tortilla that I like but I am weirdly particular about my patatas bravas.  In Santander there is a restaurant called La Rana Verde that serves my absolute favorite because they have super spicy variations.  I am obsessed!  And you would think all of this is enough for me to justly love Spanish food, what other reasons could there be?  Well I also LOVE the way the food is served, known as tapas.  Tapas are like mini appetizers, or bar food.  These are typically eaten as a snack or dinner at bars (for those unfamiliar with Spanish cuisine, they have a large lunch around 2:00/3:00pm and a very light dinner around 10:00pm).  Not only are they delicious, but they are cheap and delicious with a caña or glass of wine.  Wine being the other wondrous part of Spanish cuisine, a decent bottle of wine for 3€?! Yes please!




Five days in Italy? Sounds Good.
4. The Location-When I say that I miss the location of Spain, I mean the proximity it has to so many wonderful places to travel!  As part of Europe you can travel quite cheaply between countries; either with low cost airlines like Ryanair or getting a Euro-rail pass (cheap depending on location and other factors).  Whenever I'm visiting Spain I always try to travel somewhere else; either another part of Spain or another country.  Why you ask?  Well, why not?!
A week in Paris? Why not!
Flying anywhere in the USA is at least a couple hundred.  It just makes sense to travel in Europe while you're actually there instead of making a separate trip another time (especially since flights to/from Europe are at least $630 round-trip.)  Not to mention that Europe is a gateway to even more travel options with its proximity to Africa and Asia (at least from living on the East Coast of the USA...)  Also, as one of the 26 countries that are part of the Schengen Agreement in Europe there is no need for visas when crossing from one of these countries into another.  The biggest thing I miss about Spain's location is that feeling of being right in the center of a historical wonderland.  Every place I go I'm overwhelmed by the thought that I'm stepping foot into a building, country, monument, etc. that I studied for x number of years.  What's not to love about history coming to life and realizing those history classes really do mean something!
I'll take that 20€ flight round trip to Madrid...



"Green Spain," Cantabria
"Green Spain," Cantabria
5. The Landscape-It was difficult to choose just my top five things I miss about Spain, but the landscape is definitely one of them.  I love the diversity you see traveling around Spain!  Now before I go on, I must state that I have sadly not been to the south of Spain yet (I usually visit in the summer and don't want to die from the heat); the farthest south I have been has been Toledo, which is more or less in the middle.  That being said, the areas of Spain I have not traveled do look beautiful from the pictures I have seen and very different from the Spain I know.  I am most familiar with what is known as "Green Spain," the northern coastal strip of Spain from Galicia to the northern half of Basque Country.  It's called this because it's stuck between the coast and the Picos de Europa mountain range making it very mild and wet.  It's incredibly lush and green with rolling hills and BEAUTIFUL beaches; I am in love with this part of Spain (despite the rain, if you visit in the summer I promise there's less).
Toledo
I also love the region of Spain around Madrid; it's much drier than the north but it is no less beautiful.  This area in the center of Spain is generally much hotter than the north in the summer, but much colder in the winter (at least in the central regions like Madrid.)  If you've only been to one part of Spain you're missing out (just like me with the south!!) on getting to know the diversity that makes the landscape of Spain gorgeous and unforgettable!
Segovia

Do you have any favorite thing about Spain?  Or another country you love?

2 comments:

  1. Those are some of my favorite things too, especially the lifestyle! Hope you get to go back to Spain soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too! I hope all is well for you in Spain as well! I love reading your blog; I have yet to visit Barcelona and all of your Barcelona posts make me want to go even more! :)

      Delete