Thursday, February 7, 2013

Hiatus..

I have been hiatus the past couple of weeks thanks to an overwhelming work schedule.  The past two months I've been working mainly seven days per week covering shifts for other people along with my own work schedule.  It did not help that January was the time to apply for two different programs to teach English in Spain as a language assistant.  Both programs would start this fall and last the whole academic year however one is through the Spanish government with placements in public schools and the other through Catholic schools (but more about the programs later). It really started burning me out, but luckily I got a week and a half break this past week when my boyfriend came to visit!


House of the Seven Gables
It was a much needed break!  It was nice to be able to sleep in and stay up as long as I wanted.  We didn't do anything extravagant, but it was a perfect week.  When I picked him up in Boston we went to Salem for a few hours to see a couple museums--about the witch trials and also the House of the Seven Gables--and we had dinner at a really cool restaurant that was converted from the old Salem jail.  The food was absolutely delicious!  Not to mention I bought some fudge at the House of the Seven Gables because he had never tried it before and he actually liked some kind of sweets!


Ice Harvesting
Blacksmith at work
We drove to our hotel in southern Massachusetts to get some rest and the next day we spent at Old Sturbridge Village.  I hadn't been in a few years and he had never seen any such replica village here so we both really enjoyed it.  We got to go on a horse drawn carriage ride and they had special events that weekend of mulled apple cider and ice harvesting. Apparently it was the first time they had been able to actually do ice harvesting in two years because of the weather not being right (it was 22°F the first day and 28°F while at Sturbridge) so we really lucked out. 


Cake we made together for my mom
The rest of the week we just spent time together during the day and went out pretty much every night to have dinner with my friends or family.  We went to Olde Mistick Village on my mom's birthday, went to the mall, and we also saw a few movies.  And for the Super Bowl we ordered in some buffalo chicken calzones and wings because he really missed buffalo chicken, and it's one of my favorites! My favorite part of the week was to just spend time with him, it was definitely one of my favorite weeks with him just hanging out together.


Being in a long distance relationship can be really trying at times, it's really hard to say goodbye not knowing when you'll be able to see each other again--the six hour time difference and expenses of traveling so far don't help either...  BUT it really does make you appreciate every minute you get to spend with your loved one and I truly do love and appreciate every second I get to spend with him, even if we're just sitting and watching some t.v. together.  

How is winter treating you this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment