Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Why Teaching?

I've been having a serious case of writer's block this past week and couldn't think of a single thing I felt like writing about, so finally I thought I'd write about something that's very important to me: teaching.

In the state of the current economy, the lack of teaching positions in Rhode Island, and the often negative views people have on the profession, I am constantly asked: "why teaching?"
From a student whose class I was substitute teaching in.
It is not because I want to make a lot of money.  The average teacher doesn't make a lot: the average starting salary for Rhode Island is around $39,000 while the average for all teachers in the state is around $60,000, which isn't too comfortable for a state that was ranked as one of the most expensive to live in the United States.  If I wanted to make a lot of money I quite honestly would not be in this career; I wouldn't bother with substitute teaching, or moving abroad to teach.

It is not because I would summer break off or other vacations.  I come from a family of teachers and each one has had to work throughout the summer to make ends meet, because teachers simply do not get paid a lot.  And some schools, unless you opt into extending your paychecks, may not even send you a check during the summer.

It is not because I want a shorter work day.  I know even as a student teacher last year I came an hour early to set-up for lessons and stayed an hour later to plan for the next day's lessons.  Not to mention the hours I spent throughout the week researching lessons, planning lessons, writing lessons, and grading papers.

I want to be a teacher because I truly love this profession.
From a first grade class I used to work in.
I know I wanted to be a teacher since I was a little girl.  I was that little girl; always playing school, visiting my grandma's classes, wanting to help grade paper's for my mom's students.  To be quite honest I've never considered any other career, but many are confused why I still want to take this road.

I love working with children.  I love when a student who hates a subject tells me: "Miss T. thanks for making social studies fun!  I really like how you teach math!"  I live for that moment when a struggling student has that "Ah-ha!" moment, when the light bulb goes off in their head, and their eyes widen and you know that it finally clicked for them.  But it also doesn't hurt the little cards they make, the pictures they draw, and the bear hugs they give.

Yes there are great days in the classroom and then there are bad days that make you want to pull out your hair.  There have been days substitute teaching where children are out of control, outright disrespectful, there are no plans, or you get pulled from class to class.  In the after-school program I run, sometimes it seems like an uphill battle.  But these are children and that's the reality, each day is different, just as each child is different.  Each student has great potential to learn and succeed, you just have to get them to know that they can.
Bookmarks I made for my student teaching class last year.

I personally love learning and I love spreading my love of education and learning to future generations.  As human beings, learning is second nature as we are constantly learning and adapting through different situations in our lives.  I want to show students that learning can be fun and engaging; I want to be a positive influence on the lives of those I have taught.  Honestly I can't think of a more fulfilling career than education.  Every day you influence and affect those around you by what and how you teach.  And there's nothing better than knowing that after a hard day's work, you have made a difference: no matter how small.

And that's why I decided to apply to these programs to be a English teaching assistant abroad.  I love teaching but finding a elementary level teaching job in Rhode Island is very difficult right now.  And then if you do get a job, you have a good chance of getting cut after your first year because you don't have seniority.  These teaching programs in Spain, like the ministry program, will allow me to work in a classroom and experience an entirely different teaching system.  It may not be the ideal job, but it is a job in my field and will definitely be good experience to add to what I already have.


It's not outright rewarding career choice.  You won't make a lot of money and you may hear that you're greedy, lazy, and incompetent as you watch people bash your profession over the news.  I couldn't tell you the amount of times I was told to pick a "real major" because mine was 'so easy.'  Try not to listen to the generalizations and negativity you may get bombarded with.

Yes, not all teachers are good and yes, teaching may not be for everyone.  But if you love teaching it will be worth it for one simple thing, your students.  They make going through all the negativity worth the trouble.  So hold onto the memories of the students who have made you smile, of the ones who have thanked you for what you've done.  Think of smiles you've made, the hugs you've received, and the lives you've changed.  Because that's what teaching is all about, and that is why I know teaching is right for me.


When did you know your career was right for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment