Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Auxiliares-First Orientation Experience

And again it's been forever since I've posted anything, but it's been non-stop trying to get everything settled for when I begin working next Tuesday!  Here's one of the many things I've had to get done this past week: attend my first jornada.  (For those not doing the ministry program, enjoy my lovely Madrid pictures I thought I would add for interest to the non-auxiliars bored by this nonsense).

To participate in the program Auxiliares de Conversación you are told you need to go their jornadas (more or less program meetings), the first of which being the Orientation for all those working in the program for the year.
Kilometer Zero, Puerta del Sol
I have seen different people state that the repercussions of not attending as ranging from a stern email, being called into the office for a 'meeting,' of if too many jornadas have been missed even the refusal of renewal status.  Seeing as I still didn't have a NIE/TIE (identity number and card need to legally be in Spain) appointment anyway, and I hoped to meet fellow auxiliars, I figured it was only a few hours to give up in my day and decided to go.

I went to orientation for the province of Madrid, and to find out your orientation dates for Madrid you have to look over the Madrid Auxiliares Website where you can find the dates of the Jornadas Orientación de Septiembre depending on your year in the Madrid program, what level school you'll be working at, and the name of your school.  The orientation is held at: CRIF "LAS ACACIAS" C/ General Ricardos #179, which I found easiest to find getting off of the metro stop Oporto (either line 5 or 6).

Orientation began around 9:00 am after Auxiliares were told to sign in and shuffle on to one of the three rooms we were assigned.  Unlike other experiences I've heard of, the woman that talked to my orientation group spoke excellent English so there was no challenge in understanding any directions.  
The Rosaleda, Parque Retiro

Her first presentation was on the school system of Madrid; the bilingual program, grade levels, various classes, and emphasis on the importance of our roles as native speakers.  Next she went over the Madrid Language Assistant's Handbook, if you missed it no worries it's on the website in English and Spanish.  It mainly was more about our role in the classroom and what is expected of us (be on time, dress appropriately, all days off need to be in writing and arranged through our schools, etc.).

After she finished it was already around 11:15 and we had people from the US Embassy come in the room to talk about programs they have in Spain, what services they can provide for us, and how to keep safe living abroad.  It was mainly common sense information about knowing where you are and what's around you, but I can't help but say I did feel a little better knowing exactly where the embassy is located and its contact information in case of an emergency.  What should have lasted 30 minutes (according to our schedules) last closer to an hour so our "break" was non-existent, seriously wish I had brought a snack with me!

At this point an auxiliar from the program last year talked about her first year in a secondary school in Madrid last year, giving tips and advice based on her experience.  I really liked this part because she gave us some great ideas and talked a little bit about how she found the school system here similar and different to ours at home.



Finally at the end of the day came the part most of us seemed to be waiting for.  Talking about the NIE/TIE and documents we needed for our appointments.  Our speaker explained that they would be collecting the documents we had brought with us (copy of our Passport information page, copy of our student visa, and a copy of our entry stamp into the Schengen Zone stapled together with our name, school's name, and phone number written on the front in capital letters) and that they would make our NIE appointments for us with this information.  According to her, we will be contacted when our information is all set and will be able to pick up our NIE information and TIE appointment dates from their office.  *fingers crossed it will be almost as smooth as it sounds...

She didn't give an exact list of what we will need for the TIE appointment but mentioned we would need:
  • Spanish sized photos (I believe 3, in color with a white background)
  • Passport
  • Visa
  • Our carta de nombramiento
  • Tasa form 790 for 15.15€ that you take to (apparently) any bank in Spain to pay
  • And that we need to empadronarse (register ourselves living in the city, no worries I have a post coming on how easy it is to do in Madrid!)
I also think we need the application from for the TIE, EX-17, but I don't remember if it was mentioned by her.  Be sure to have a copy of everything you will turn in so that you always have a copy of your paperwork, whether they take the original or the copy.  Eventually there should be a post on the Madrid Auxiliares website on what you will officially need for the TIE, but with all the paperwork needed to stay legally in Spin I think it's never too early to start researching!


After we turned in all of our copies we brought we were free to leave and go on our way.  It wasn't the most fun part of my experience in Spain so far, but it definitely wasn't the most painful either.


If you're in the Auxiliares program have you had your orientation already?  What did you think?

2 comments:

  1. You just started the program. That's fantastic!!!!! I hope you have a wonderful experience. I'd like to apply for the program but I'm a bit hesitant because of what I've been reading on the Auxiliares program and their problem in paying auxiliares on time. How did you forget about this fact and just did it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Well it seems to depend on everyone's individual experience and the province you end up working in. The community of Madrid, from what I've heard at least, seems to have had few payments issues over the past few years so I chose Madrid partly for this reason. Also, I saved up enough to take with me in case the payments ARE late. Overall, I think the experience is more or less worth what you may have to go as an Auxiliar.

      Delete