Tuesday, April 9, 2013

My Favorite Spanish Bands

Spanish music is something I largely think is overlooked.  When you bring up Spanish music a lot of people either, A) think of latin music that's not actually from Spain or B) they think of Enrique Iglesias, flamenco, or the top 40 music you hear out in the discoteca.  While I do love that music, who doesn't love Juanes or getting down to some club hit, Spanish music offers so much more than those misconceptions.  There's such a range of musical styles and concepts in Spanish music that is often, unfortunately, unknown to those who haven't (yet!) experienced it.  Now I make no claims to being a guru of Spanish music, there are a just some Spanish bands/musicians that I love and want to share to those who have may not have discovered them!

(I do not own or claim rights to any of the videos displayed below.  These are my personal opinion and I solely offer some musical awesome.  Enjoy.)
source


El Canto Del Loco

One of my all time favorite Spanish bands is El Canto Del Loco, one of the most popular, or at least well known Spanish bands.  They're from the Madrid region and originally formed in the mid-1990s.  I was first introduced to them by my boyfriend and since then cannot have enough of El Canto Del Loco.  They have a rock-pop sound and I love how versatile the band is, from "La Madre de José" to "Contigo" to "La Suerte de mi Vida"; their songs show the range they have as artists.  They have songs that will make you laugh, rock out, and cry; literally a song for every mood.  I have to say that personally my top two favorite songs by them are "Peter Pan" and "Una Foto En Blanco y Negro".  As of now they are no longer together; they separated in 2010 to do solo careers.  If you love Spanish music and haven't heard El Canto Del Loco then I would say you are definitely missing out.


La Oreja de Van Gogh

La Oreja Van Gogh could be controversial.  How could this band be controversial you may ask?  Quite simply it's the debate on who is/was the better lead singer, the original Amaia Montero, or her replacement, Leire Martínez.  Most fans may not care, but this argument affects me personally when I'm forced to listen to my boyfriend and best friend discuss (argue over) who is the better singer.  Personally I like both singers and think they each have distinctive vocals that add to the dynamic of the band in their own unique way.  But who am I to decide the argument for them...  That being said I love almost all of their songs but if forced to chose, I would say my favorite songs from the Amaia Montero era are "Puedes Contar Conmigo" and "Dulce Locura" and my favorites from the Leire Martínez era are "Jueves" and "Día Cero".    La Oreja de Van Gogh is based out of Donostia-San Sebastián and has also been around since the mid-1990s.  Their songs are poetic and beautifully written; just listen to Jueves and try not to cry.  It was written in memory of those tragically killed in the 2004 attack on the Atocha station in Madrid, it's about two passengers who finally confess their love for each while aboard the trains the day of the attacks.  "Jueves" is one of the most simple and moving love songs I have ever heard and I think showcases the many talents of La Oreja de Van Gogh.

Ska-P

Now I love me some ska punk music: Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Sublime, No Doubt, Catch 22...my list could go on...so it's no surprise that when I first heard Ska-P I fell in love.  They are also from the Madrid region, like El Canto Del Loco, and as wikipedia defines them  are "an anti-establishment musical group."  Ok, wikipedia, thank you for your opinion...but really.  Most of their songs are quite anti-establishment, which makes it even cooler that my boyfriend's dad has tapes of them in his car that he listens to.  (ROCK ON)  Some of Ska-P's most well known songs are "Cannabis" and "Sexo Y Religión"...as those are not false cognates I assume everyone is quite clear on the general idea of Ska-P song topics.  However, despite whatever opinion you may have on their 'controversial' song topics, they are an incredibly talented band and I love rocking out to Ska-P.  Punto.  One of my favorite Ska-P songs is El Gato López, enjoy and rock out to the awesomeness.


Russian Red

Russian Red unlike the above mentioned is not a band but one singer, the stage name of Lourdes Hernández.  She is Spanish but also unlike the previous groups, all of her songs are in English.  Russian Red started in 2007 with a MySpace page and over the years has become a strong force in the Spanish indie genre.  Many compare her to Feist but I also liken her to a Ingrid Michaelson and Regina Spektor hybrid; in the end though Russian Red's music is so unique to herself it's hard to pinpoint what other indie great she sounds like.  Her voice is rough yet sweet at the same time, her songs are simple and poetic.  Trust me that if you're a fan of indie-pop music then you will love Russian Red as much as I do.  I love Russian Red so much that I couldn't to decide which of her songs are my favorite so I finally chose to showcase the first song I heard of hers.  Bask in the magic of her voice.


La Fuga

La Fuga may not be as well-known compared as the above-mentioned bands, but I love them nonetheless.  They have a special place in my musical heart because they are from Cantabria, from the city of Reinosa in the south of the province.  My boyfriend and his friends were sure that I listened to them when they realized I love music and wanted to learn about Spanish bands.  La Fuga is a rock band that was formed in the mid-1990s and is still performing despite changes to the original band members.  Over the years they have have produced multiple albums as they have increased in popularity and become more well-known throughout Spain.  I love La Fuga because they always are true to their own sound and their songs are always 'rockable.'  My favorite song is "Las Olas" from their 2005 album Negociando Gasolina and I can't tell what I like more; the lyrics, music or voice.  So take a listen to La Fuga and decide for yourself.

What Spanish musicians or bands do you love?

4 comments:

  1. This post makes me so happy! I can't wait to check out some of these bands I've never heard of (La Fuga & Ska-P especially)! I love discovering new Spanish music, and all kinds of international music. I really enjoy listening to Macaco. His voice is really unique and his lyrics are intriguing. Another awesome group is El Sueño de Morfeo, a fusion of Celtic and Spanish. For a chill vibe I like Ojos de Brujo. And when I'm in the mood for a good love ballad, I like Carlos Vives (Colombian not Spanish) - my favorites are La Maravilla & Quiero Verte Sonreir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you liked it! :) I like Macaco too and I can't wait to listen to the bands/musicians you suggested. I love the diversity of international music, it's so different from what's mainstream in the USA. I can only take so much of the same songs on repeat over the radio!

      Delete
  2. WOW thanks a lot , we are crossing at some bands here, others i am glad you mentioned as i am trying to renew my Spanish list.... for something good also you should listen to "Los Aslandticos" my favorites are "hoy me voy", "De momento" & "Que trata de Andalucía

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll have to give them a listen! I love suggestions for bands that are new to me :)

      Delete