Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Italy: My Food Heaven

I love food.  If you know me even a little, that should be no surprise.  And while I have loved the food of all the places I have traveled to so far, my absolute favorite has been in Italy.  While a lot of the snack stands we stopped at for a quick bite were indeed average, every single restaurant we ate at was delicious.  Pizza, pasta, and Gelato (of course) to die for!  If you've been to Italy I'm sure you can agree that the food is pretty close to heavenly.  Here's a brief post on why I could live on Italian food for the rest of my life.

It started our first night as we wandered from our hostel to the Trevi Fountain.  As we wandered I was tempted by all of the gelaterias, or gelato stores, we passed.  My boyfriend has been lucky enough to travel to Italy quite frequently (the perks of being European) and was quite adamant I chose my gelateria wisely; nothing too fluffy, or too bright.  If you don't know what gelato is it's a dessert similar to ice cream.  It's much smoother, creamier, and has a richer flavor.  We finally chose a tiny place on a side street that was full; we selected the flavors of Nutella and Tiramisu to try between the two of us.  Needless to say I was in gelato heaven and may or may not have eaten some gelato every single day...and have no regrets.  I tried many different flavors over our week in Italy but Nutella was my favorite.  Whenever I am in Europe I am sure to overload on Nutella anything because it is not common back in the United States.
source



Is this not perfect? source

Another thing I try to overload on in Europe, is the presence of so many languages.  I always like to pick up at least a few words and phrases when I travel somewhere new.  I have never studied Italian before but I picked up the basic Italian words of: grazie, prego, scusa, etc.  Over the vacation though my most important, and most used,  vocabulary word was of course: formaggi, or cheese.   It's something I have been sure to learn the word for in the countries I've visited, because let's face it.  I can't get enough cheese!  Over our stay I had some truly delicious quattro formaggi pizza, pasta, and gnocchi.  If formaggi was in the name then I knew it was the food for me.  You only live once so why not eat everything I possibly can that is smothered with cheese!  In fact I loved the formaggi so much that I have been so disappointed in most Italian food since I've come back home, I miss the real deal.





For our meals in Italy we tried not to eat in the main areas because they would be the most 'touristic' and were often overpriced, crowded, and I'm sure not quite as tasty.  It was quite easy to find these off the beaten path restaurants in Rome because of all the winding side streets you find yourself on.  We found some truly delicious places for food while wandering around the streets of the city.  Only once did we end up sitting in a plaza for a meal, in Piazza della Rotonda, across from the Pantheon.  It may not have been as 'authentic' Italian but I enjoyed our meal and we had street performers serenading us so it was impossible to not fall in love with the atmosphere.  Not to mention I got to sit, and eat, in front. of. THE. Pantheon.  The history major in me died and went to heaven while the cheese lover in me followed suit with my quattro formaggi.
Caesar was pleased


We were only in Florence for a day and did not really leave the center of the city so it was much harder to find a restaurant that was not very touristic.  We tried wandering down different side streets but it was most shops and not restaurants.  Despite that we had some delicious pizza at our dinner in the Piazza della Repubblica but when we grabbed a quick lunch in the Piazza della Signoria it was, nicely put, awful.  Our waiter literally TOOK our table away before we could finish our coffee so he could seat someone else.  We sat there in shock as we held onto our coffee cups and what we had left to drink.  Needless to say it was a disappointing lunch, but you win some you lose some.  Overall, I loved the cuisine in Italy and was able to feed my ever-growing cheese addiction.  Good or bad, dining was always an experience!  And in Italy I have eaten the best pasta, gelato, and pizza in my life.  Luckily when I'm in Santander I can get my Italian fix at my friend's Italian restaurant that his family owns called Pizzeria l'Archetto.  He's half Italian so not only is it authentic, but he encourages (and feeds) my cheese love.  A win-win situation!  Now go out and find your favorite cuisine, buon appetito!

Hail Caesar!

Do you love Italian food too?  What country is home to your favorite food?

No comments:

Post a Comment